Thursday, February 09, 2006

Why I love being South Indian*...

Pardon the blatantly regionalistic title, folks from North/West/East India. And, beware... the following blog is very communal. Not in the VHP/RSS way. But communal, all the same. My love, of course, isn't restricted by region. The blog maybe pro-Dravidian, but certainly not Anti-any community. It's just about how much I love the Indian Dixieland and its outputs.

That's disclaimer enough.

After 22 & 1/2 years of existance, I realized that it's amazing fun belonging to a community that has its roots in South India... being Tam... being TamBrahm Iyer and all. A bullet-pointed account of why:

  • People assume that you're intelligent. You don't have to work to hard to prove it.
  • You can speak a third language (most of the population of the world is mono-lingual) and maybe understand a fourth, without being extremely talented.
  • Your friends always want to learn Tam from you (wink)
  • You can laugh at stuff like "South India-la Narthangai kidaikkum. Aaana, North India-la Southangai kidaikuma?!"
  • The yummy techies are mostly from the Deccan and further south. Even if they aren't genetically Southie, they studied there :-)
  • The best bloggers have Southie roots...
  • As do the smartest quizzers :-)
  • They make the best coffee in the world.
  • And they also make vegetarian food that's delicious even without slopping it with ketchup, garlic or cheese.

* South Indians include genuine & wannabe Tams, Gults, Mallus, Kannads... and all the Southies-at-heart... like Konkans :p

5 Comments:

Blogger DSK said...

I dunno if I'm that proud of being a South Indian as I am being a Tam Bram.

The best-est thing ever about being a Tam Bram is this "Vendakkai Chaaptaa Maths le 100/100 varum".

hehe...
p.s. I hate pseudo Tams.

February 09, 2006 12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmpf.. agree with most of it, very grudgingly though.

But you can't really tell me to keep off your (*rolling eyes heavenwards!!*) territory unless you want to demarcate it in the traditional way.. after which, rest assured, I'll definitely keep my claws off:P

Anjali.

February 09, 2006 12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just read the last line... so cute, siDee!!!:):)

Anj.

February 09, 2006 12:16 PM  
Blogger DeepBlueSea said...

DSK:Hehe... yeah. 100/100 - also referred to as "centum". BTW, the half hour we spent on orkut today was fun :p

Anj:Now that you've set us... or a certain member of the above-mentioned kind as your benchmark, you're gonna have a tough time not encroaching.

February 09, 2006 12:22 PM  
Blogger Ravi said...

People assume that you're intelligent. You don't have to work to hard to prove it.
Wish it were true ( sigh! )
You can speak a third language (most of the population of the world is mono-lingual) and maybe understand a fourth, without being extremely talented.
2 years in Ahmedabad and not a sliver of gujju. And my Hindi is limited to gaalis
You can laugh at stuff like "South India-la Narthangai kidaikkum. Aaana, North India-la Southangai kidaikuma?!"
Ouch !
The yummy techies are mostly from the Deccan and further south. Even if they aren't genetically Southie, they studied there.The best bloggers have Southie roots.As do the smartest quizzers

Don't know where to slot myself. Though I have drunk enough paal payasam to be reasonably convinced of my yumminess and get hits running onto 2 digits on national holidays, I'd like to classify myself in the last category. And that reminds me..Where's the prize money :-) ( kidding ! )

And they also make vegetarian food that's delicious even without slopping it with ketchup, garlic or cheese.

Couldn't agree with you more. In fact, me tendency to drown in sambar is a big joke in my dorm

However,having been with Tambram geeks all my life, some of their traits irk me
1)They(read we) are freaking insular.( Obviously, there are 'n' exceptions to the rule)
2)Have the tendency to talk loudly in Tamil in mixed gatherings, whether in Amdavad or Ann Arbor (And I find this very embarrassing)
3) Very Very risk averse and afraid to go off the beaten track !

Btw have updated my blog..Check it out

February 09, 2006 2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home